Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages?

hdev@dutiai.twi.tudelft.nl (Hans de Vreught)
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 14:32:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Practicality of functional and logic languages? benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs (Mirek Benes) (1993-01-11)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? tobbe@erix.ericsson.se (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? torbenm@diku.dk (1993-01-13)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? hdev@dutiai.twi.tudelft.nl (1993-01-13)
Practicality of functional and logic languages? lock@karlsruhe.gmd.de (1993-01-14)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? nickh@CS.CMU.EDU (1993-01-14)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? joe@erix.ericsson.se (1993-01-14)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? aet@mundil.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1993-01-15)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? johnson@cs.uiuc.edu (1993-01-15)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? glew@pdx007.intel.com (1993-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hdev@dutiai.twi.tudelft.nl (Hans de Vreught)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1993 14:32:12 GMT

eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (Jonathan Eifrig) writes:
> 1) Most expert system shells that I've seen have been written in
> Lisp.

True over in the States but I'm not sure over here. I think most European
AI-related products are written in Prolog.

> 3) The Japanese tried to use Prolog as the basis for their much-
> ballyhooed "Forth Generation Computer" project. Granted, this
> never really got anywhere, but, hey, they tried! :-)

But Prolog wasn't to blame: their objectives were much too ambitious.

At my university Prolog is used in a natural language project. The grammar
used is not a toy one but a state of the art one. But Prolog isn't the
only language used in the project. Some stuff is easier to write in
imperative languages.

I believe this is symptomatic for large Prolog programs: they are embedded
in programs written in imperative languages. So the high level stuff in
Prolog and the low level stuff in an imperative language.

Personally I do most of my simpel programs in Prolog or Lisp only because
of the speed in which I can program in these languages. Why spending 2
weeks with an imperative language obtaining a program that is just a
little bit slower (there exist good interpreters nowaddays), if I can
solve the problem in 2 days in Prolog?

If I can only chose out of your alternatives, I will chose (3). Prolog can
be an important mean in developing usable software tools for building
usable software products.
--
Hans de Vreught
hdev@dutiba.twi.tudelft.nl