Practicality of functional and logic languages?

Mirek Benes <benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs>
Mon, 11 Jan 1993 06:33:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Practicality of functional and logic languages? benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs (Mirek Benes) (1993-01-11)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? tobbe@erix.ericsson.se (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (1993-01-12)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? torbenm@diku.dk (1993-01-13)
Re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? hdev@dutiai.twi.tudelft.nl (1993-01-13)
re: Practicality of functional and logic languages? ludemann@quintus.com (Peter Ludemann) (1993-01-13)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Mirek Benes <benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1993 06:33:16 GMT

I would like to know some opinions concerning functional and logic
programming languages (Haskell, Miranda, ML / Prolog) and their practical
usability for programming:

* Are they (1) toys for playful programmers, (2) something usable only
    at universities for never-ending research, or (3) important means for
    development of usable software products?
* Are there any (comercially?) successful applications written in functional
    or logic languages?
* How effective these applications are comparing with applications
    written in classic procedural languages like Pascal?

I want to start courses of these programming styles at the university,
so any opinions on the subject will clear up my situation.

          Miroslav Benes
--
Technical University of Brno E-mail: benes@dcse.fee.vutbr.cs
Faculty of Electrical Engineering Phone: +42-5-746111 / 238