Re: Inter-module type checking for C (was: A lesson for ...)

ian@airs.com (Ian Lance Taylor)
Mon, 22 Jun 1992 14:17:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Inter-module type checking for C (was: A lesson for ...) rfg@ncd.com (1992-06-19)
Re: Inter-module type checking for C (was: A lesson for ...) rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Deluth Miller-Rockwell) (1992-06-22)
Re: Inter-module type checking for C (was: A lesson for ...) ian@airs.com (1992-06-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ian@airs.com (Ian Lance Taylor)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1992 14:17:27 GMT

>[You could still lose if you forget to include the .h file in the .c file
>that declares the function, but in general it's certainly true that if you
>use prototypes your compiler will point out type mismatches. -John]

To avoid exactly this problem, we added a warning to gcc (about
version 1.37 or so) which warned if a globally visible function was
declared without a prototype. This made it into gcc 2.0 as
-Wmissing-prototypes. This reduces the problem to ensuring that the
prototype appears in only one header file.
--
Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com uunet!airs!ian