Give me your strings.

cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird)
Tue, 12 Feb 91 14:47:38 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Give me your strings. cl@lgc.com (1991-02-12)
Re: Give me your strings. tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) (1991-02-12)
Re: Give me your strings. hoffman@nunki.crd.ge.com (1991-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.programmer,comp.compilers
From: cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 14:47:38 GMT

I want to be able to type

show_me_source_strings source1.c source2.c

and receive something like

source1.c: "This is a string in the C-source source1.c"
source1.c: "I'm a string too, passed to the function %s.\n""
source1.c: "I initialize a char *.";
source2.c: "Me too; I'm in the string-space of this program."
source2.c: "There's another string in this file, but it's in comments."

Is the point clear? I'm looking for an executable that knows enough C
(or Pascal, ...) syntax to isolate string constants, and echo them out
to a file (possibly stdout).

It's easy enough to write a grep or sed or grep script that finds all
lines with a couple of "-s in them, but I'm curious whether there is a
Better (more accurate, powerful, ...) Way. Is there a standard, modern,
low-cost fashion for getting at the syntactic elements of C source? If
I became adept at YACC, could I code this up in two minutes? Is there a
public-domain C parser that everyone uses to construct filters such as I
have in mind? Has Harry Spencer written an awk program that does this,
or will emacs give it to me if I type CTL-\-ESC-ALT-&-F7-...?
--

Cameron Laird USA 713-579-4613
cl@lgc.com USA 713-996-8546