YACC grammar for PASCAL?

V053MF43@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Wed, 18 Apr 90 02:45 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
YACC grammar for PASCAL? V053MF43@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (1990-04-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 90 02:45 EST
From: V053MF43@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu

        Maybe I'm a little confused here, but aren't LL(1) grammars a subset of
LR(1) grammars? Couldn't one just adapt the description of Pascal from the
ISO Standard Report to YACC notation, add semantic evaluations, and generate
the compiler? Or will the lookahead interfere with the error processing?
It's been a while, but I thought Aho, Sethe, and Ullman did just that during
their (brief) treatment of LL(1) grammars.
        I think maybe the compiler writers are getting a little lazy here,
  One of the key points of generating an LL(1) grammar language is to make it
easy to hand code in a programming language (and also considerably more
efficient compilers get produced by that hand coding).
        Someone clarify me on paragraph one, at least.

        Thanks,

        Mike Ayers
        V053MF43@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU