Re: Compilers :)

"Tristan B. Velloza Kildaire" <deavmi@redxen.eu>
Fri, 13 Jan 2023 14:17:56 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilers :) deavmi@redxen.eu (Tristan B. Velloza Kildaire) (2023-01-02)
Re: Compilers :) spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras) (2023-01-02)
Re: Compilers :) DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2023-01-05)
Re: Compilers :) deavmi@redxen.eu (Tristan B. Velloza Kildaire) (2023-01-13)
Re: C and Java, was Compilers :) gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2023-01-13)
Re: C and Java, was Compilers :) dave_thompson_2@comcast.net (2023-01-28)
Re: C and archtecture, C and Java, was Compilers :) Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com (Keith Thompson) (2023-01-29)
Re: C and Java, was Compilers :) gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2023-01-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Tristan B. Velloza Kildaire" <deavmi@redxen.eu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 14:17:56 +0200

On 2023/01/05 02:12, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> On 1/2/23 11:28 AM, Tristan B. Velloza Kildaire wrote:
>
>> I am currently working on my own compiler for something like C
>
> Define "like C".
>
> DoDi
> [Grouped with {} ?  Comments with /* */ ?  Designed by a guy who
> worked for the phone company? -John]

Think of C, but with object orientation similiar to C++ added, however
single inheritance, interface support (as per C++ as well). Really java
OOP's model but attached into C.

Kind of not too keen on generics as I think they blur source code
clarity somewhat. Still open to suggestions.

But stripped down C++ in the sense of avoiding many pitfalls such as
weird syntax for certain declarations.

There are other things I aim to fix, fixing the evaluation ordering of
function arguments (as that is unspecified) - this is done in the DGen
(C code emitter level). That's what I am going for.

I have a memory model for OOP planned out, the OOP features will come in at
a later stage, parsing and most of dependency tree initialization is
there but needs some tweaking. Currently working on getting modules
supported correctly.

Flow control is there from lex to emit, functions etc etc. Expressions
and all, I will keep everyone up to date and know when there is an alpha
out. I just want to polish the remaining needed features, the soirce
code itself (as I intend it to be readbale for others who want to
contribute).

Development has picked up quite a lot seeing that I now finished
university. STtarting work soon but intend to use free time to work on it.

When it is all polished I will open source it, clean up docs and also
work on the "book" section which aims to be a language manual and
implementation manual (explaining the inner workings).