Re: Languages with types like Ada

"Luke A. Guest" <laguest@archeia.com>
Fri, 21 Oct 2022 21:00:13 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Languages with types like Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest) (2022-10-20)
Re: Languages with types like Ada antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl (2022-10-21)
Re: Languages with types like Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest) (2022-10-21)
Re: Languages with types like Ada gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-10-21)
Re: Languages with types like Ada DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada thomas@burdick.fr (Thomas F. Burdick) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada bo@bo-persson.se (Bo Persson) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada christopher.f.clark@compiler-resources.com (Christopher F Clark) (2022-10-23)

From: "Luke A. Guest" <laguest@archeia.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 21:00:13 +0100

On 21/10/2022 13:30, antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl wrote:
> Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> wrote:
>> I've been using Ada for a while and I cannot seem to find any other
>> languages which were developed which had a similar/same way of embedding
>> information into types (including basic discrete types). Are there any?
>>
>> And no, i don't mean Pascal. I mean a fully fledged type system like Ada's.
>
> You probably should be clearer here. IMO distinctive feature of
> Ada types is having parametrized types. IIUC Ada essentially the same
> mechanism is available in (Extended) Pascal. More general version of

No, it's not. Pascal cannot define fixed or float types. I'm wondering
what other languages have a type system that can embed information into
the type like Ada does.

> parameterised types was in CLU. FriCAS computer algebra system has its

I'll look into CLU and friCAS thanks.

> own language called Spad, having very general parameterised types. If
> you like Ada you probably will reject Spad generality, but all above came
> from similar design considerations.
>
> Concerning "fully fledged type system", this is really an invitation
> to a flame war. You should say which features of Ada type system
> you want. And if you want enough features to be exactly the
> same as in Ada, then Ada is likely the only language with this

No, I want to know if there are other languages that did anything similar.

> features. After all, what is purpose of developing a "new"
> language when it is exactly the same as an existing language

No, I could write an Ada compiler, but the language is massive and needs
cutting down, the ARG won't do that, so a smaller language with the bits
I want and bits I don't removed is a better way forward.
[In C you can say "typedef short int foo" and now foo is a type.
Like that? -John]