Re: Languages with types like Ada

antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl
Fri, 21 Oct 2022 12:30:01 -0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Languages with types like Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest) (2022-10-20)
Re: Languages with types like Ada antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl (2022-10-21)
Re: Languages with types like Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest) (2022-10-21)
Re: Languages with types like Ada gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2022-10-21)
Re: Languages with types like Ada DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada thomas@burdick.fr (Thomas F. Burdick) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada bo@bo-persson.se (Bo Persson) (2022-10-22)
Re: Languages with types like Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest) (2022-10-22)

From: antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 12:30:01 -0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 21 Oct 2022 13:44:57 EDT

Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Ada for a while and I cannot seem to find any other
> languages which were developed which had a similar/same way of embedding
> information into types (including basic discrete types). Are there any?
>
> And no, i don't mean Pascal. I mean a fully fledged type system like Ada's.

You probably should be clearer here. IMO distinctive feature of
Ada types is having parametrized types. IIUC Ada essentially the same
mechanism is available in (Extended) Pascal. More general version of
parameterised types was in CLU. FriCAS computer algebra system has its
own language called Spad, having very general parameterised types. If
you like Ada you probably will reject Spad generality, but all above came
from similar design considerations.

Concerning "fully fledged type system", this is really an invitation
to a flame war. You should say which features of Ada type system
you want. And if you want enough features to be exactly the
same as in Ada, then Ada is likely the only language with this
features. After all, what is purpose of developing a "new"
language when it is exactly the same as an existing language
(OK, you may do this due to copyright/trademarks).

--
                                                            Waldek Hebisch