Re: [Rock Brentwood] Fortran to C/C++ translation: a running example.

Lydia Marie Williamson <lydiamariewilliamson@gmail.com>
Fri, 20 May 2022 16:44:18 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: [Rock Brentwood] Fortran to C/C++ translation: a running example. ianlancetaylor@gmail.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2022-05-16)
Re: [Rock Brentwood] Fortran to C/C++ translation: a running example. lydiamariewilliamson@gmail.com (Lydia Marie Williamson) (2022-05-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lydia Marie Williamson <lydiamariewilliamson@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:44:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 6:08:05 PM UTC-5, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Just FYI I was the enterprising soul who translated the code from Fortran
> to C. I still have at least some of the intermediate files. Happy to
> answer any questions.

I can interleave your in-between states into my GitHub sequence as a parallel
side-branch, if you wish. That will significantly help close out another loose
end that I hadn't yet fully resolved.

> In particular I changed the format of the data file. I wrote a translation
> program between the old format, a new format, and a text format. The text
> format let me make minor changes to things like the leaflet text.

I reverted back from character-based to a compromise between streaming and
records - something that's also friendly to Fortran 2018.

It just so happened, that later Fortran versions also included made a story
and index file compiler - one that's similar to what I have. That will be
integrated into the GitHub sequence, as well.

Most of the issues with translation (as you'll see in the history log I kept,
in the repository) were dealing with the I/O functions - with quite a few
changes made on the Fortran side, even before translating to C. Fortran has
streaming I/O now, which helps tremendously.