Re: [Rock Brentwood] Fortran to C/C++ translation: a running example.

Ian Lance Taylor <ianlancetaylor@gmail.com>
Mon, 16 May 2022 15:38:29 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: [Rock Brentwood] Fortran to C/C++ translation: a running example. ianlancetaylor@gmail.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2022-05-16)
Re: [Rock Brentwood] Fortran to C/C++ translation: a running example. lydiamariewilliamson@gmail.com (Lydia Marie Williamson) (2022-05-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ianlancetaylor@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:38:29 -0700

> From: Rock Brentwood <rockbrentwood@gmail.com>
> The classic text-based computer game Zork / dungeon was originally devised on
> MIT computers in a LISP-offshoot (MDL), and translated to Fortran 77 by an
> "Anonymous" author. Some time later an enterprising soul converted a version
> of the Fortran edition of Zork into C ... pre-ANSI C ... with the aid of an
> earlier version of "f2c", but left no detailed paper trail behind on the
> actual translation process and stages.

Just FYI I was the enterprising soul who translated the code from Fortran
to C. I still have at least some of the intermediate files. Happy to
answer any questions.

That said, most of the work was manually rewriting the f2c output into
something more C like. For me this wasn't an exercise in translation
between languages, it was an exercise in making a version of Zork more
available. So I probably don't have anything useful to add that is
relevant to the compilers list.

In particular I changed the format of the data file. I wrote a translation
program between the old format, a new format, and a text format. The text
format let me make minor changes to things like the leaflet text.

Ian