Re: Error-handling if your compiler had an attitude.

Christophe de Dinechin <christophe.de.dinechin@gmail.com>
Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:25:44 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Error-handling if your compiler had an attitude. federation2005@netzero.com (2014-12-29)
Re: Error-handling if your compiler had an attitude. gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-12-30)
Re: Error-handling if your compiler had an attitude. walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2014-12-30)
Re: Error-handling if your compiler had an attitude. genew@telus.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2014-12-30)
Re: Error-handling if your compiler had an attitude. christophe.de.dinechin@gmail.com (Christophe de Dinechin) (2015-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Christophe de Dinechin <christophe.de.dinechin@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:25:44 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 13 Jan 2015 14:05:43 EST

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 at 12:11:54 AM UTC+1, federat...@netzero.com
wrote:
> What if your compiler had an attitude problem? I was thinking of funny
things
> it could do for error-handling (maybe with a -X switch for GenX/Millennial
> verbose output):

MPW C had a few interesting error messages. I ran into the "And the lord said"
one, looked into the compiler to find the others, and tried very hard to
figure out how to get "Huh ?". They are listed at
http://www.ralentz.com/old/mac/humor/mpw-c-errors.html, but I copied them
below for your convenience:

"String literal too long (I let you have 512 characters, that's 3 more than
ANSI said I should)"

"...And the lord said, `lo, there shall only be case or default labels inside
a switch statement'"

"a typedef name was a complete surprise to me at this point in your program"

"`Volatile' and `Register' are not miscible"

"This struct already has a perfectly good definition"

"Only one parameter per register please "

"type in (cast) must be scalar; ANSI 3.3.4; page 39, lines 10-11 (I know you
don't care, I'm just trying to annoy you)"

"This array has no size, and that's bad"

"Huh ?"

"can't go mucking with a `void *'"

"we already did this function"

"The target of this goto is a label in a block that has an automatic variable
with an initializer"

"This label is the target of a goto from outside of the block containing this
label AND this block has an automatic variable with an initializer AND your
window wasn't wide enough to read this whole error message"

"Call me paranoid but finding `/*' inside this comment makes me suspicious"

"This function has an explicit return type and deserves a return value"

"You are comparing two structures that have holes in them"

"Too many errors on one line (make fewer)"

"Symbol table full - fatal heap error; please go buy a RAM upgrade from your
local Apple dealer"

"Trailing comma not permitted in enum definition. (This time I'm letting you
off with a warning)"