Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler?

Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:05:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? compilers@is-not-my.name (2011-04-27)
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2011-04-27)
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-04-27)
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? arnold@skeeve.com (2011-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:05:38 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 Apr 2011 19:30:18 EDT

compilers@is-not-my.name wrote:

>Does anyone happen to know if the traditional IBM language products like
>COBOL, PL/I, FORTRAN etc. invoke the assembler internally to produce object
>code, or if they produce object code directly? ...

In general; they produce object code. The compilers have to take
advantage of object-specific features that are not available via the
assembler syntax.

The Dignus compilers produce assembler, and we have to provide our own
assembler that not only is IBM compatible, but also has support for
these features.

And, due to the various complexities of IBM assembler syntax, it's
frequently the case that the compile step is much faster than the
assemble step.

      - Dave Rivers -
--
rivers@dignus.com Work: (919) 676-0847