Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler?

compilers@is-not-my.name
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:19:21 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? compilers@is-not-my.name (2011-04-27)
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2011-04-27)
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-04-27)
Re: IBM mainframe compilers produce object code or invoke assembler? arnold@skeeve.com (2011-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: compilers@is-not-my.name
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:19:21 -0000
Posted-Date: 27 Apr 2011 17:44:46 EDT

Does anyone happen to know if the traditional IBM language products like
COBOL, PL/I, FORTRAN etc. invoke the assembler internally to produce object
code, or if they produce object code directly? If they produce object code
directly, what is the reason that approach was chosen instead of invoking
the assembler? What are the benefits and disadvantages of the possible
approaches? It seems to me a little risky to generate object code since
presumably the assembler will always be updated as part of the base OS
deliverable but then again maybe that's also a moving target to be avoided.
[They produce code directly. Unix compilers are pretty much the only ones
that run through the assembler, and that's because the PDP-11 Unix system
had an assembler so fast that it wasn't much slower than generating the
object files directly. -John]