Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages?

David W Schroth <David.Schroth@unisys.com>
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:37:15 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? tony@my.net (Tony) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? nmm1@cam.ac.uk (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? lkrupp@pssw.com (Louis Krupp) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? nmm1@cam.ac.uk (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? David.Schroth@unisys.com (David W Schroth) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? georgeps@xmission.com (GPS) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (2008-12-06)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2008-12-06)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? jasen@xnet.co.nz (Jasen Betts) (2008-12-06)

From: David W Schroth <David.Schroth@unisys.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.arch
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:37:15 -0600
Posted-Date: 05 Dec 2008 18:47:02 EST

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Michael Tiomkin schrieb:
>

>> I understand that some ancient computers (in the 2nd millennium)
>>used segmented memory. If we could implement this and show that it
>>runs most of the programs faster, somebody would be able to build such
>>a processor.
>

> A segmented model requires possibly huge address translation tables,
> which have to reside in the cache. Unfortunately loading these tables
> on context switches (threads...) or on loading segment registers
> resulted in very poor runtime behaviour. The page concept (flat model)
> reduces the reloads to situations which require I/O (swap file), so
> that adjustments to the tables are neglectable.

The only way I can make sense of these (dubious) assertions is to assume
that you have a specific implementation in mind.

The system I work on is both segmented and paged. The Page Table
(note singular) consumes only a small fraction of memory. Being a
global Page Table, there is no penalty incurred when switching
threads. The time to load a segment register is a few cycles, and
doesn't seem to normally impact performance.

I can't make any sense of your last sentence no matter how I try.

David W. Schroth
[I expect he's thinking of the segmentation on x86 chips, which has rather
bad performance. Segment register loads are very slow, and since there
aren't very many seg registers, there were a lot of loads. -John]