Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops

Carl Barron <cbarron413@adelphia.net>
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:37:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops wclodius@los-alamos.net (2008-03-04)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops wclodius@los-alamos.net (2008-03-05)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops anw@cuboid.uk (2008-03-07)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops torbenm@app-2.diku.dk (2008-03-07)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-03-09)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2008-03-10)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops cbarron413@adelphia.net (Carl Barron) (2008-03-10)
Re: call by name, was silly question: prefix vs postfix ops wclodius@los-alamos.net (2008-03-10)
Re: algol60 history, was call by name gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2008-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Carl Barron <cbarron413@adelphia.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:37:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Mar 2008 17:53:03 EDT

In article 08-03-044, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<DrDiettrich1@aol.com> wrote:

> Torben Fgidius Mogensen wrote:
>
> > The Danish computer company Regnecentralen used Algol60 as the main
> > programming language for their GIER computers.
>
> The same for the German Telefunken machines (TR-4, TR-440).
>
> I have the impression of an continental conflict of interests or
> opinions, that prevented the jump of European ideas and work (Wirth...)
> over the sea. The requirements for programs in non-English countries
> have rarely been been reflected in programming languages (standard
> libraries), character sets etc. With regards to Unicode I still have the
> impression, that nothing but "if you need more characters, here's what
> you want" has been understood about text processing or other habits and
> requirements in other languages and cultures.

      From stateside,as I recall the computer world about 1964-1966, it
was held in a partical stranglehold by IBM. Since IBM developed
FORTRAN, and was developing extensions thereof for system360, It was
not in the interests of IBM to develop algol60 and if IBM did not do
it, it got little or no support..... The algol60 compiler that I used,
was imported from France, and its presence on the site was not
publicized at all.
[As I think I noted a few days ago, IBM did provide Algol for OS360
but it was unusuably slow unless you used Princeton's patches. -John]