Re: flex for windows

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:59:01 -0500 (EST)

          From comp.compilers

Re: flex for windows timothyprince@sbcglobal.net (Tim Prince) (2007-12-13)
Re: flex for windows gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2007-12-13)
Re: flex for windows DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-12-13)
Re: flex for windows Horand.Gassmann@dal.ca (Gus Gassmann) (2007-12-14)
Re: flex for windows timothyprince@sbcglobal.net (tim prince) (2007-12-14)
Re: flex for windows DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-01-06)
Re: flex for windows dickey@saltmine.radix.net (Thomas Dickey) (2008-01-06)
Re: flex for windows agdjh@gasjgdjagjdagdgaj.com (Gary R. Van Sickle) (2008-01-06)
Re: flex for windows tprince@computer.org (Tim Prince) (2008-01-06)
Re: flex for windows DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-01-07)
Re: flex for windows cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2008-01-07)

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:59:01 -0500 (EST)
Posted-Date: 06 Jan 2008 17:59:01 EST

Gus Gassmann wrote:

> Can't say I understand any of this. Someone handed me a .l file with
> %option reentrant in it. I work in a Windows environment, but I have
> to get that .l file compiled somehow.
>
> Following this discussion, I found mingw and thought I installed it; I
> downloaded flex 2.5.33 and thought I installed it, but it complains
> that it can't find a .dll called msys-regex-0.dll. Now what?

MinGW is a *minimalistic* GNU for Windows, you may be better off with
the better equipped CygWin. In either case you'll have to figure out,
which further packages contain the missing modules, then download them
an install them into the emulator, prior to building dependent packages.

> Is there anyone kind (and knowledgeable) enough to help out a
> desperate soul in a fix? I know I am asking for a lot, but I am hoping
> that there is somewhere in this great world that is the internet a
> step by step procedure I can follow. (As in 1. Download this file from
> here. 2. Install to that directory. 3. Download and install that file
> there. etc.)

1. When you can find a binary package, built for Windows, then use just
that one.

2. If not, get the source package (.rpm, .deb, .tar.gz, .tgz...) and
unpack it in CygWin, MinGW, Interix or whatever emulator you want to use.

2.1. Some packages already come with makefiles or project files for
MSVC, VS, CBuilder or other famous Windows tools. If so, open the
project in your favorite (and supported) Windows development system, and
proceed as usual.

3. If not, installation of a package typically is a two-step procedure,
inside the emulator:

3.1. To configure the package, cd to the directory with the "configure"
script, then type "./configure". When you get errors in this step, you
can try to install the missing modules recursively, or better ask some
Linux user to configure the package for you.

3.2. Build the package, typically with "make".

3.3. Sometimes another "make install" is required, as described in the
package documentation.

Once you master these steps, you are also ready to build the packages in
a Linux console, with the same commands and procedures. Then you may
start to like "native" Linux, or you know better why you don't like it ;-)

You also can leave the emulator after step 3.1 succeeded, and try to
build the configured package with your favorite Windows development system.

DoDi