Re: Definition of Production

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:45:28 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Definition of Production two@haik.us (Al) (2007-09-10)
Re: Definition of Production DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2007-09-11)
Re: Definition of Production haberg@math.su.se (2007-09-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:45:28 +0200
Posted-Date: 13 Sep 2007 00:56:03 EDT

Al wrote:

> I'm looking for a clear definition of `production' in a (computer)
> grammatic/syntactic context. I've seen it used to mean anything from
> rule (in the xBNF sense) to input string, to mixtures of both
> (e.g. the segment of the input that matched a given rule).

Grammars can be seen in two ways, as prescriptions for:
- generation (production) of words of a language, or
- interpretation (validation, parsing) of words a language.

Where I'd prefer "sentences" for valid strings of a language (goal rule
of a grammar), and "words" for valid substrings (any rule).

Now input and output strings are somewhat interchangeable, either as
accepted by a parser, or as products/productions of some generator of a
language.

> [No terms in comp sci have precise definitions, but I've consistently
> seen production used in the sense of a grammar rule. -John]

ACK, a single term for closely related (inseparable?) items.

DoDi