Welcome to comp.compilers 22nd year

"Comp.compilers" <compilers-request@iecc.com>
1 Jan 2007 11:50:22 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Welcome to comp.compilers 22nd year compilers-request@iecc.com (Comp.compilers) (2007-01-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Comp.compilers" <compilers-request@iecc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jan 2007 11:50:22 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Jan 2007 11:50:22 EST
Cleverness: None detected

Today marks the beginning of the 22nd year of comp.compilers. It is,
as far as I can tell, the oldest active usenet group still with its
original moderator.

Some topics are the same as they were in 1986, like asking for help
with buggy yacc parsers. Others have completely changed; in 1986 it
was a challenge to squeeze an optimizer into a 64K byte address space,
now that every laptop has a gigabyte of virtual memory, that's the
least of our problems.

The group's own technology has evolved somewhat as well. When
mod.compilers (the group's name before the Usenet Great Renaming)
started, we all used B or C news, and most of the news passed over
dialup modems with the long distance charges buried in corporate phone
budgets. While the technology of usenet hasn't changed much other
than the news tranfer moving to the Internet, comp.compilers has more
or less kept up with the times and is available as a web site at
compilers.iecc.com, an RSS feed, and for the traditionally minded, a
mailing list not unlike the own that predated mod.compilers.

I thank the many participants over the years that have kept
comp.compilers consistently interensting and civil, and look forward
to another year.

Regards,
John Levine, comp.compilers moderator,
johnl@iecc.com, http://compilers.iecc.com