Re: Browse information format

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
29 Jul 2006 19:33:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Browse information format jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2006-07-28)
Re: Browse information format DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-07-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Jul 2006 19:33:10 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Jul 2006 19:33:10 EDT

jacob navia schrieb:

> I am developing an IDE since a few years, and after many trials I
> have settled for SQL databases for storing information about
> the program.
>
> The information I gather is
> o type information
> o coordinate information (precise line, file column of definition)
> o identifier information
> o macros definition
>
> and several other stuff like usage tables, etc.
>
> I wonder if anyone here knows of papers or references about this.

Have a look at the debug information, as stored in popular file formats
(ELF...). But most probably it will not include information about macros
(or types) :-(

> Are there any standards that would allow different IDEs to exchange
> info?

Look at popular open source IDEs, like Eclipse.

> I have now developed a bunch of SQL tables where the hierarchical
> information is stored using "pointers" , i.e. a record can contain
> a reference to the index of another record.

Here you may hit the limits of relational databases. For "proper"
references to local variables or other local symbols, you'll need
handles for the local scopes, in addition to the symbol names. Or you
can use synthetic names, which include an key for the scope of the
symbol. Possibly such names must be handled in dedicated code, outside
the database.

DoDi