Re: Linking, striping and stack traces how does it all works together ?

Laurence Finston <lfinsto1@gwdg.de>
11 Jul 2005 10:53:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking, striping and stack traces how does it all works together ? Ludovic.news@gmail.com (2005-07-11)
Re: Linking, striping and stack traces how does it all works together lfinsto1@gwdg.de (Laurence Finston) (2005-07-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Laurence Finston <lfinsto1@gwdg.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jul 2005 10:53:06 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Jul 2005 10:53:06 EDT

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 Ludovic.news@gmail.com wrote:

> As I understand it, software is build with debug symbol, then send to a
> server where those symbols are stripped. When the application crashes a
> symbol-less stack trace is send to the server which can generate a
> stack trace containg symbols.

Perhaps this is possible, but according to my admittedly limited
understanding of the matter, I don't think it should be.

> I'm trying to understand how all this works. I'm looking for pointers
> on how the linking process works, what doe it do , how is done. Books,
> web page explaining these concept and how they work.

I recommend the book _Linkers and Loaders_ by John R. Levine, the
moderator of this newsgroup.

> Same thing applies to striping, how does the strip command work ?

I suggest you look at the documentation for the GNU versions of the
relevant programs, and the source code, if necessary. On the system I'm
using, there are manual pages for 'gcc', 'ld', 'as', and 'strip'.
These might be a good place to start. Using a debugger, such as GDB
(The GNU Debugger), is another good way of learning how code works on a
lower level.

Laurence Finston
http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/LDF.html