Linking, striping and stack traces how does it all works together ?

Ludovic.news@gmail.com
11 Jul 2005 07:02:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking, striping and stack traces how does it all works together ? Ludovic.news@gmail.com (2005-07-11)
Re: Linking, striping and stack traces how does it all works together lfinsto1@gwdg.de (Laurence Finston) (2005-07-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ludovic.news@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.theory,comp.programming
Date: 11 Jul 2005 07:02:41 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Jul 2005 07:02:41 EDT

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how talk back works.

"Talk Back" is a client/server utility used by the Mozilla Foundatio,
to get stack trace when software released by the Foundation crahes. As
I understand it, software is build with debug symbol, then send to a
server where those symbols are stripped. When the application crashes a
symbol-less stack trace is send to the server which can generate a
stack trace containg symbols.

I'm trying to understand how all this works. I'm looking for pointers
on how the linking process works, what doe it do , how is done. Books,
web page explaining these concept and how they work.

Same thing applies to striping, how does the strip command work ?

Tia
Ludovic
ps : fu2 comp.theory
--