Re: Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
3 Sep 2004 12:38:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (2004-08-23)
Re: Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (2004-08-25)
Re: Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON vbdis@aol.com (2004-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Sep 2004 12:38:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 03 Sep 2004 12:38:37 EDT

spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (Space Monkey) schreibt:

>I should have added that the desired outcome is to populate the
>contents of a binary file using instructions contained in a separate
>text file.

In that simple case I'd handcraft the appropriate code.

>I am a complete novice on YACC and BISON and any help with the grammar
>rules for the parsing the hexadecimal list in the above example is
>appreciated.

If you want to learn more about YACC and BISON, then have a look at a C like
grammar (you'll not need a full C/C++ grammar). The semantic code may be
simple, depending on the "commands" in your text file. For your example you can
use a global variable for the memory address, where every parsed number is to
be stored, and afterwards the address has to be incremented (*addr++ = nmbr;).

DoDi