Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation

Sreenivasa Viswanadha <sreeni@viswanadha.net>
20 Jul 2004 19:44:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a parser generator recommendation exitsfunnel@yahoo.com (Exits Funnel) (2004-07-19)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation cdc@maxnet.co.nz (Carl Cerecke) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation sreeni@viswanadha.net (Sreenivasa Viswanadha) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation danwang74@gmail.com (Daniel C. Wang) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation egagnon@antivirus.uqam.ca (Etienne Gagnon) (2004-07-20)
Re: Looking for a parser generator recommendation gopi@sankhya.com (2004-07-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sreenivasa Viswanadha <sreeni@viswanadha.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jul 2004 19:44:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Jul 2004 19:44:27 EDT

Exits Funnel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a parser generator which meets the following requirements
>
> 1) LALR
>
> 2) Generates a parser in Java.
>
> 3) The generator itself (as opposed to just the generated code) must run
> cross platform (ie, probably be java).
>
> 4) The generated code and any support libraries must be explitly usable
> in commercial software. Unfortunately, our legal department has deemed
> even the Lesser GPL unacceptable. I guess that means I'm looking for
> either something commercial or something in the public domain.
>
> 5) This one's not absolutely necasarry but it would be great if the tool
> supported the generation of some kind of an intermediate form (parse
> tree?) rather than just allowing embedded actions in the rules.

If you just relax requirement 1 above, you can use javacc that generates
LL/recursive descent parsers:

        http://javacc.dev.java.net

It simply generates java code. It uses *NO* libraries apart from the IO
libraries from JDK.

It is licensed under BSD. It has a companion tree generator (jjtree).

More over, it has an active user group and readily available help on
newsgroup: comp.compilers.tools.javacc and users mailing list.

Sreeni.