Announcement: Sigma 0.5

Thant Tessman <thant@acm.org>
20 Dec 2003 11:50:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Announcement: Sigma 0.5 thant@acm.org (Thant Tessman) (2003-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thant Tessman <thant@acm.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Dec 2003 11:50:29 -0500
Posted-Date: 20 Dec 2003 11:50:29 EST

My thanks to those in this newsgroup who have helped me learn things
I've used to implement this.

I wanted to have more done before bothering with a new release, but
I've fixed a bug in the DAG code and the thought that there was a bug
in code I released into the wild was gnawing at me. Hope folks find it
useful.

---

Sigma is a small, interpreted, functional programming language
implemented in C++. It was designed with the intention of making it
easy to embed in an application so as to serve as an extension
language.

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden
slow implementation of half of Common Lisp." Sigma is an attempt to
make that inevitably-embedded lisp implementation a little less
ad-hoc, and a little less bug-ridden.

-thant

          http://www.standarddeviance.com/sigma.html

---

Changes from 0.4:

Changed syntax, replacing "val <id> is ..." to "let <id> be ...".

Fixed bug in directed-acyclic-graph code. (The DAG code is used to
maintain the type graph. This bug never manifested itself in the
interpreter, but it showed up when the code was used elsewhere.)

Support for "real" numbers, which correspond to the double-precision
floating-point numbers of the underlying hardware.

---