Re: optimizing c++ code (on win32 platform), all the techniquesyou know?

"Alex Blekhman" <tkfx@yahoo.com>
23 Sep 2003 13:28:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimizing c++ code (on win32 platform), all the techniques you know? tzuchien_chiu@xgitech.com (Tzu-Chien Chiu) (2003-09-22)
Re: optimizing c++ code (on win32 platform), all the techniquesyou kno tkfx@yahoo.com (Alex Blekhman) (2003-09-23)
Re: optimizing c++ code (on win32 platform), all the techniquesyou kno deutronium@web.de (cody) (2003-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Alex Blekhman" <tkfx@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,comp.compilers
Date: 23 Sep 2003 13:28:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Sep 2003 13:28:02 EDT

"Tzu-Chien Chiu" <tzuchien_chiu@xgitech.com> wrote in message

> "What methods do you ever use to optimize the programs?"
>
> We're developing a graphics chip emulator in C++, but it's very slow
> for big scenes. Even though this is a cross-platform software, I only
> want to optimize it on the Win32 (Windows 2000/XP) platform.

Actually, the most efficient method is detect your bottleneck first. Before
you know exactly where most of time is wasted, any speculations about
optimization are pointless. It can be that your program spend 1% of time in
allocations and 90% of time in buffer transfers, so even if the miracle will
happen and you'll succeed to accelerate allocations twice, then still you'll
gain only 0.5% in overall time. And you can spend hours and days by
optimizing not relevant parts of the program with negligible effect. I think
you got the idea. Here's the article for general reading:
"Optimization: Your Worst Enemy"
By Joseph M. Newcomer
<http://www.codeproject.com/tips/optimizationenemy.asp>