Re: End of optimization...

Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com>
23 Jul 2003 10:40:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
End of optimization... mayan@sandbridgetech.com (2003-07-03)
Re: End of optimization... walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2003-07-13)
Re: End of optimization... ndalton@lastminute.com (Niall Dalton) (2003-07-13)
Re: End of optimization... walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2003-07-17)
Re: End of optimization... mayan@sandbridgetech.com (2003-07-21)
Re: End of optimization... walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2003-07-23)
Re: End of optimization... nej22@cl.cam.ac.uk (2003-07-25)
Re: End of optimization... fjh@cs.mu.oz.au (Fergus Henderson) (2003-07-25)
Re: End of optimization... Robert@Knighten.org (2003-07-31)
Re: End of optimization... channahr@comcast.net (norm@plumpirate.com) (2003-08-04)
Re: End of optimization... qsmgmt@earthlink.net (Alan Lehotsky) (2003-08-04)
Re: End of optimization... fjh@cs.mu.oz.au (Fergus Henderson) (2003-08-04)

From: Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jul 2003 10:40:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Jul 2003 10:40:05 EDT

mayan@sandbridgetech.com wrote:

> While your point about embedded devices being a good target for
> compilers is well taken, I think economics is going to limit the number
> of platforms, and therefore compilers, to a few areas.
> - routers
> - video
> - wireless
> - (possibly) audio

I think the list is very much larger.

Kitchen appliances, microwave ovens, toasters, coffee makers, can openers,
stoves, refrigerators, rice cookers, dishwashers.

Cars engine controllers, dome lights, dash controllers, door locks, car
radios, cd players, data switches, security systems, gps navigation.

Home entertainment and recreation: TV's VCR's, DVD's CD players, radio's,
shop tools, tv and stereo remote controls, telephones, cell phones,
calculators, pda's, digital cameras, cam corders, digital watches, scuba
dive computers, hand held GPS, satellite and cable decoders.

The volume market for small embedded controllers is very large with high
level language compilers playing an important role.

> In the embedded arena, areas where compilers MAY still play a part fall
> more in the area of hardware EDA tools: behavioral synthesis either to
> FPGAs or silicon, hardware/software co-development, etc.

There is a real role for compilers here. The current costs of
development and manufacturing for this type of silicon have yet to
make it competitive for the main stream embedded micro-contoller
applications (Some current processors cost < $0.10 in volume). There
are currently several system on a chip initiatives to produce a hybrid
part computer part programmable logic component. There are some
processors being developed that are designed for machine generated
code. (Instruction sets that are extremely difficult to hand code. A
trade off for execution efficiency and code size)