RE: Grammar to automation translation at runtime (NOT at

Quinn Tyler Jackson <qjackson@shaw.ca>
23 May 2003 01:31:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RE: Grammar to automation translation at runtime (NOT at qjackson@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2003-05-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Quinn Tyler Jackson <qjackson@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 May 2003 01:31:34 -0400

VBDis said:

> It's no special problem to create automation tables at runtime, but
> how to add actions to these tables? Once a grammar is
> customized with
> actions, it's very hard to propagate eventual changes in
> the syntax to
> all those customized grammars :-(

Actually, Meta-S 5.0 *will* include interpreted scripted actions,
using a Lua-MetaS interface.

In other words, reduction actions and support functions will be
written in Lua with access to LPM objects via the Luna interface.

And, of course, since the actions will be interpreted, it will be
possible to modify them at parse time, as with productions.

I selected Lua for the interpreted language because it's compact,
simple, extensible, and because it has a liberal license.

By doing this, non-C++ hosted versions of Meta-S grammars will be
portable across various hosts without any changes in the reduction or
post-parse tree manipulation code.

--
Quinn Tyler Jackson