Re: compiler target?

jgd@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
16 Mar 2003 23:56:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler target? tgunlien@yahoo.com (Tom Lien) (2003-03-14)
Re: compiler target? jgd@cix.co.uk (2003-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jgd@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Mar 2003 23:56:16 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Mar 2003 23:56:16 EST

tgunlien@yahoo.com (Tom Lien) wrote:
> My question is, if you were involved in this project, what would you
> generate from the AST? We don't want to target a particular assembly
> language because it is not portable. Would you recommend compiling down
> to another language such as c or c++. Or what about targeting a virtual
> machine (java, .net)? Are there other options we should consider?

For a first shot at this kind of thing, targeting C or C++, whichever
looks easiest, seem the best thing to do. The first question for a new
programming language is always "how useful is it, in action?" and
being able to modify it relatively easily as you experiment is a good
idea. If compiling to another language imposes unacceptable overheads,
fixing that is best left until you've proved your creation is useful.

---
John Dallman jgd@cix.co.uk
                    "C++ - the FORTRAN of the early 21st century."