Re: new language syntax

Ralph Boland <rboland@unb.ca>
26 Sep 2001 00:49:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
new language syntax aberegov@home.com (Aleksey Beregov) (2001-08-24)
Re: new language syntax remove.haberg@matematik.su.se (2001-08-25)
Re: new language syntax 04lzvud73001@sneakemail.com (2001-08-25)
Re: new language syntax svdh@wanadoo.fr (2001-09-21)
Re: new language syntax howard.s.modell@boeing.com (HSM) (2001-09-25)
Re: new language syntax rboland@unb.ca (Ralph Boland) (2001-09-26)
Re: new language syntax joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-10-06)
Re: new language syntax wclodius@aol.com (2001-10-20)
Re: new language syntax cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2001-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ralph Boland <rboland@unb.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Sep 2001 00:49:43 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Sep 2001 00:49:43 EDT

I am looking for a (free) scanner/parser generator tool I do not know
all the tools available and would like to narrow down the list as much
as possible.

TGen (written in Smalltalk) mostly satisfies my needs but I would
prefer to find one written in Java or C.

My ideal requirements:

The parser generated should be LALR(1) or LR(1). (A Must) There
shouldn't be any clever tricks to get around grammars that are not
LR(1). If I can't write a LR(1) grammar for my application I lose.

The scanner table should be either a finite state machine or be a LR
based parser table.

Both the scanner table and parser table should be written to a file.
Also any tables such as mappings of Token types to integers should be
written to a file.

The scanner and parser should read these files in order to do their
work. Thus they do not need to change when the scaner/parser tables
etc. are generated for a new language.

It should be possible to write the symbol table and any related tables
of a parsed program to a file as well.

The idea is to be able to use syntactic information about syntacticly
correct programs to do things like language based editing, data
compression, version control etc., systematically and efficiently
using language specific information.

These tools are need to work for any language for which there is a
specification of the language acceptable to the the parser/scanner
generator tools.

Note that I will need access to the source since I will have to modify
what the parser/scanner does and probably make other changes since the
generator tool probably doesn't do exactly what I want.

There should be some language specifications available for some common
languages such as java, C or HTML.

I assume that some version of lex/yacc wuold be best but there are so
many tools out there to choose from.

By the way this is needed for a graduate student project.

Sorry that this was so long.

Thanks

Ralph Boland