Re: "Near Miss" error handling?

henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
15 Apr 2001 22:48:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: "Near Miss" error handling? ian.trudel@tr.cgocable.ca (Ian Trudel) (2001-03-31)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-04-04)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? uabbwat@uab.ericsson.se (Barry Watson) (2001-04-04)
Sv: "Near Miss" error handling? sskaflot@online.no (srs srs) (2001-04-10)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? ralph@inputplus.demon.co.uk (2001-04-14)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? henry@spsystems.net (2001-04-15)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? dmitry@elros.cbb-automation.de (2001-04-16)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? lindig@eecs.harvard.edu (Christian Lindig) (2001-04-16)
Re: "Near Miss" error handling? vbdis@aol.com (2001-04-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Apr 2001 22:48:33 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Apr 2001 22:48:33 EDT

Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I think most programmers, regardless of their native language, use
>> English identifier names. Not all, but most.
>
>I could believe that to be the case in Scandinavian countries, where
>English is widely spoken, but my experience working for Thomson CSF in
>France a few years suggested exactly the opposite...

My understanding is that the French are the single substantial
exception to the original comment. Most others -- even the ones with
different alphabets -- tend to sigh and grit their teeth and use
English or something resembling it, but in France that is considered
intolerable, er excuse me intolérable.

In Algol 68, the loop delimiters were do...od everywhere, even Russia
and China, except France, where they were faire...fait (which is
actually rather elegant) (that translates roughly to "do...done").
--
When failure is not an option, success | Henry Spencer henry@spsystems.net
can get expensive. -- Peter Stibrany | (aka henry@zoo.toronto.edu)