Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler

Chris F Clark <cfc@world.std.com>
27 Mar 2001 23:32:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Compiler Compiler danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2001-03-22)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler jjan@cs.rug.nl (J.H.Jongejan) (2001-03-26)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2001-03-26)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler nr@labrador.eecs.harvard.edu (2001-03-26)
Re: compiler compiler compiler Dr_Feriozi@prodigy.net (2001-03-26)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler kszabo@nortelnetworks.com (Kevin Szabo) (2001-03-27)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler Trevor.Jenkins@suneidesis.com (Trevor Jenkins) (2001-03-27)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2001-03-27)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler i.dittmer@fh-osnabrueck.de (Ingo Dittmer) (2001-03-27)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler iank@idiom.com (2001-03-27)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler rog@vitanuova.com (2001-03-31)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler blume@research.bell-labs.com (Matthias Blume) (2001-03-31)
Re: compiler compiler compiler toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (2001-03-31)
Re: Compiler Compiler Compiler joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-04-04)

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@world.std.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:32:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:32:15 EST

Daniel Wang asked:
> Just curious, but has there been any research done on
> parser-generators generators? i.e. some magic tool that will take a
> specification of my favorite programming language and produce a yacc
> like parser generator.

Actually, most parser generators are not that far from parser
generator-generators, especially those in the table driven camp. In
that camp, a relatively fixed skeleton is copied to the output with
some tables that the skeleton uses to control its actions. The only
effort to targetting a new language is rewriting the skeleton (and
perhaps mildly reformatting the output tables).

Note, one tool LALR (by Paul Mann) actually was a parser generator-
generator because the tool used a template language to control its
output. The language had special sequences like %n, which output the
number of states.

At the other end of the spectrum, I believe TWS (Deremer and Penello)
did not write out the skeleton at all, just the tables. In one
variant I believe the skeleton read the tables in.

The other side of the coin is that writing a minimal parser generator
is a fairly trivial task, perhaps as little as a couple hours work (if
you've done it a few times before). Therefore, it is quite easy to
conjure up a new parser generator and have a leg-up on the parsing
process.

Hope this helps,
-Chris

3 Proctor Street voice : (508) 435-5016
Hopkinton, MA 01748 USA fax : (508) 435-4847 (24 hours)