Re: Re: High Level Language vs Assembly

Orlando Llanes <a010111t@bc.seflin.org>
10 Mar 2001 15:48:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
High Level Language vs Assembly francis.doyle@donovandata.com (2001-02-17)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly jim.granville@designtools.co.nz (Jim Granville) (2001-02-22)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly kszabo@nortelnetworks.com (Kevin Szabo) (2001-03-08)
Re: Re: High Level Language vs Assembly a010111t@bc.seflin.org (Orlando Llanes) (2001-03-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Orlando Llanes <a010111t@bc.seflin.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Mar 2001 15:48:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 10 Mar 2001 15:48:42 EST

On 8 Mar 2001, Kevin Szabo wrote:
> So, look at the skills you are picking up. Look at the jobs section
> of your local paper and see how many of those jobs you can possibly
> apply to with 'mainframe assembler' experience. Looking at my paper
> (the Ottawa Citizen) I can say the answer will be ZERO!

        There is no such thing as a useless skill.
        For example, what I learned from optimizing Assembly Language has
helped me make my HLL code much more efficient.
        Also, don't forget that in the computer industry, old technology has a
way of finding itself back in the market. For example, the M68k is
obsolete right? No one in their right mind would program in it right?
Well, the PalmPilot uses a [generally speaking] M68k.
        Another example, the 386 is dead right? Well, there are certain
handhelds on the market that use the 386 chip.

See ya!
Orlando Llanes
[This has drifted too far away from compilers. Re useless skills, I think
I could still toggle PDP-8 code in from the switches, if I could find a
PDP-8 with switches. -John]