Re: High Level Language vs Assembly

"Kevin Szabo" <kszabo@nortelnetworks.com>
8 Mar 2001 12:33:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: High Level Language vs Assembly fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-02-25)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly ts3@ukc.ac.uk (T.Shackell) (2001-03-01)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly samiam@cisco.com (Scott Moore) (2001-03-01)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly samiam@cisco.com (Scott Moore) (2001-03-04)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly sunni@speakeasy.net (Shankar Unni) (2001-03-04)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly ts3@ukc.ac.uk (T.Shackell) (2001-03-08)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly kszabo@nortelnetworks.com (Kevin Szabo) (2001-03-08)
Re: Re: High Level Language vs Assembly a010111t@bc.seflin.org (Orlando Llanes) (2001-03-10)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly tfjellstrom@home.com (Tom Fjellstrom) (2001-03-10)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly samiam@cisco.com (Scott Moore) (2001-03-10)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) (2001-03-10)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly mr@peakfive.com (Matt) (2001-03-10)
Re: High Level Language vs Assembly joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-03-10)

From: "Kevin Szabo" <kszabo@nortelnetworks.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Mar 2001 12:33:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Mar 2001 12:33:32 EST

francis.doyle@donovandata.com wrote:
> Hi,
> When I took a compiler class in Grad School, my professor was
> adamant about the efficiency of code produced by new high level
> language compilers. He stated that a human assembly language writer
> was no longer able to compete with these compilers (unless, of course
> you consider something like Microsoft VB...Ha Ha). His arguments were
> convincing, but I was looking for some actual numbers to back this up
> (ie; RECENT performance comparisons). Any help would be greatly
> appreciated (as I work in an IBM Mainframe assembly shop and this sort
> of talk gets me treated like a heretic).

First, let me mention that I checked the date of the submission when I
saw this post. I knew it was too early to be an April Fools gag, but
I still have suspicions of having one pulled on me.

A number of folks have answered your question, but I think there is
something larger at stake.

In 1989 Tim Lister came to the firm I was employed at and gave the
seminar on 'Controlling Software Projects'. One part of the levity
that he provided was his visit to the IBM assembler-only department,
or as he called it 'The Shop That Time Forgot'. We all had a good
laugh. This was in 1989!

So, now it is 2001 and there is still a shop writing significant
assembler, and viewing HLL with disdain. Working in this environment
is a very precarious career position. Their productivity will be low
and their costs will be high, so you can expect that once someone
looks carefully at the numbers, or if a significant change to the
financial systems are required, the department will be outsourced.
And you will be looking for a job.

So, look at the skills you are picking up. Look at the jobs section
of your local paper and see how many of those jobs you can possibly
apply to with 'mainframe assembler' experience. Looking at my paper
(the Ottawa Citizen) I can say the answer will be ZERO!

Remember, the only job security today is your Resume. If you are not
picking up marketable skills you are going to be headed for some tough
times in the future.

Regards,
Kevin Szabo