Re: syntax-directed editing

neelk@brick.cswv.com (Neel Krishnaswami)
8 Sep 2000 02:10:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax-directed editing stip@mathematik.uni-ulm.de (Alexander Stippler) (2000-08-27)
Re: syntax-directed editing qjackson@home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2000-09-07)
Re: syntax-directed editing maratb@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Marat Boshernitsan) (2000-09-08)
Re: syntax-directed editing neelk@brick.cswv.com (2000-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: neelk@brick.cswv.com (Neel Krishnaswami)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2000 02:10:46 -0400

Alexander Stippler <stip@mathematik.uni-ulm.de> wrote:

> I've got an AST representation of a java package/file and a textual
> representation of this file. This file should be editable and the
> AST thus has to be updated at least every time the file is saved.
> How can I manage this rebuilding as little as possible of the AST
> and how can I do it at all? Do you know some introducing papers or
> other materials on this topic?

The best source on incremental parsing I've seen is Tim Wagner's PhD
thesis -- he worked on the Ensemble project at Berkeley (which has
since morphed into the Harmonia project).

        Tim A. Wagner. Practical algorithms for incremental software
        development environments. Technical Report CSD-97-946, University of
        California, Berkeley, March 11, 1998.

        http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~harmonia/pubs.html

Neel