Re: Compiling an ellipsis

Alan Donovan <>
23 Nov 1999 00:36:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling an ellipsis (Guillaume Comeau) (1999-11-21)
Re: Compiling an ellipsis (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-23)
Re: Compiling an ellipsis (Zalman Stern) (1999-11-23)
Re: Compiling an ellipsis (James Jones) (1999-11-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alan Donovan <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Nov 1999 00:36:11 -0500

Guillaume Comeau wrote:
> Hence the question: are parameters in ellipsis forcefully on the
> operand stack, or can they be in internal registers as space allows?

I've never seen a compiler that uses an optimised calling convention
(i.e. registers) with variable arg lists. I think you would have
problems because the compiler would have to treat the format string
specially, and it might not be known at compile time.

    Alan Donovan
    Imerge Ltd. +44 1223 875265
[I have. See later messages. -John]