Compiling an ellipsis

"Guillaume Comeau" <>
21 Nov 1999 23:27:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling an ellipsis (Guillaume Comeau) (1999-11-21)
Re: Compiling an ellipsis (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-23)
Re: Compiling an ellipsis (Zalman Stern) (1999-11-23)
Re: Compiling an ellipsis (James Jones) (1999-11-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Guillaume Comeau" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Nov 1999 23:27:29 -0500

I am currently looking at my implementations of some ANSI C functions
such as printf, sprintf, fprintf. All these functions may take a
variable number of parameters.

Now, I can figure out a portable way to deal with a variable number of
parameters, but some processors put the n first parameters of a
function call into internal registers.

Hence the question: are parameters in ellipsis forcefully on the
operand stack, or can they be in internal registers as space allows?
(in which I have some assembly work to do for each processor port).

Guillaume Comeau.