Re: Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal

Juergen Kahrs <>
23 Jul 1999 22:22:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal (Ronald Praver) (1999-07-14)
Re: Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal (Bill Fahle) (1999-07-20)
Re: Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal (1999-07-21)
Re: Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal (Sammy Mitchell) (1999-07-21)
Re: Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal (Peter Zechmeister) (1999-07-23)
Re: Tiny-Pascal & People's Pascal (Juergen Kahrs) (1999-07-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Juergen Kahrs <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jul 1999 22:22:02 -0400

A Johnstone wrote:

> [A whole Pascal compiler in one mail message? Who could resist! -John]

The P4 compiler (full Pascal, not a subset) is also available online:

| Pascal Implementation: A Book and Sources
| Included here is the Pascal source of a public-domain Pascal
| compiler and interpreter, the P4 compiler and interpreter.
| It is coded entirely in Pascal, and produces a high-level
| so-called intermediate code as output. The program 'pint'
| is an assembler and interpreter for this language.
| The entire compiler and interpreter is documented in the book:
| Pascal Implementation: The P4 Compiler and Interpreter,
| by Steven Pemberton and Martin Daniels, Ellis Horwood,
| ISBN: 0-13-653-0311 (also available in Japanese).
| It was distributed by John Wiley in other countries,
| but now that Prentice Hall has taken over Ellis Horwood,
| that will have changed.
| Steven Pemberton is contactable by email as
| He did not write the compiler, only documented it in the book.

One or two years ago, he wrote in an email that he had started
scanning the whole book to make it available online, but this has
never happened. When I asked him again, he did not answer.

Several other implementations are available here:

Did you know that Wirth designed and implemented some languages
before Pascal ? "Euler" is one of them, but this link seems to
be broken:

Perhaps you remember Algol:

Juergen Kahrs Tel. 0421 249 666
Millstaetter Strasse 15 Tel. 0421 457 2819
D 28359 Bremen Fax 0421 457 3578