Re: gawk memory leak (Arnold D. Robbins)
8 Apr 1997 09:33:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[4 earlier articles]
Re: gawk memory leak (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak (Max Hailperin) (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak (1997-04-08)
Re: gawk memory leak (1997-04-11)
Re: gawk memory leak (David Chase) (1997-04-11)
Re: gawk memory leak (Paul David Fox) (1997-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Arnold D. Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Apr 1997 09:33:49 -0400

Robert A Duff <> wrote:
>"...automatic garbage collection a la Java"? As if Java invented gc?

Not at all. The GC in Java is real easy to use: ptr = nil and boom you
don't have to worry about it anymore. I did not mean to imply that GC
in a language means that I no longer have to think about what I'm

>By the way, I'd be interested in hearing exactly what is patented,
>re: purify.

Purify works by instrumenting object code; they insert new code into
pre-compiled code. This allows them to instrument code from any
compiler, and code that the customer may not have source code for (oh,
like the C library on any commercial Unix system these days). I don't
know the details, but they have a patent on the object code insertion

I liked the statements that manual memory management requires the
global reasoning, which is a lot harder. This is exactly the kind of
situation I have in gawk. The bug was worse in that the leak was *per
record*. Ouch!

In any case, it's fixed now, and will be available shortly.
Arnold Robbins -- guest account at Emory Math/CS