Re: gawk memory leak

albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
3 Apr 1997 14:00:38 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS toplas@cs.umd.edu (1997-03-31)
gawk memory leak [was Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (1997-04-02)
Re: gawk memory leak albaugh@agames.com (1997-04-03)
Re: gawk memory leak stuart@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (stuart(yeates)) (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak max@gac.edu (Max Hailperin) (1997-04-06)
Re: gawk memory leak hbaker@netcom.com (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak cyber_surfer@wildcard.demon.co.uk (1997-04-07)
Re: gawk memory leak bobduff@world.std.com (1997-04-07)

From: albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Apr 1997 14:00:38 -0500

Arnold D. Robbins (arnold@mathcs.emory.edu) wrote:

: Ob. comp.compilers note. This memory leak stuff has thoroughly
: convinced me of the beauty of purify, as much as I otherwise really
: dislike software patents. It has also convinced me that automatic
: garbage collection a la Java is a Good Thing. :-)

I keep running into this sentiment. I'm definitely not
"pro memory leaks", but I don't understand exactly what definition
of the term makes it not apply to objects that are still "live"
long after they are _usefully_ live, in garbage-collected systems.
Sure, memory leaks are more _likely_ with rookies (or, mortals :-)
doing malloc/free at a dizzying pace, but garbage collection _per_se_
does not solve the base problem of not having a handle (pun intended)
on the useful life of your objects. Unless there is something major
I'm missing, I'm afraid I'll continue to view garbage collection
in the "Not _much_ Spam in it" category :-)

Mike