Re: Choosing a language for compiler design

geraldo@nw.com.br (Gerhard Fiedler)
5 Nov 1996 23:31:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Choosing a language for compiler design jsa@alexandria.organon.com (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design joshua@intrinsa.com (Joshua Levy) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design pbrisset@apoge.eis.enac.dgac.fr (Pascal Brisset) (1996-10-24)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design will@ccs.neu.edu (William D Clinger) (1996-10-24)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design rgh@shellus.com (1996-11-01)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design geraldo@nw.com.br (1996-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: geraldo@nw.com.br (Gerhard Fiedler)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 1996 23:31:07 -0500

I'm late in this thread, and didn't catch the beginning -- so I make
my own ;-)

I'm a programmer, but never had to write a compiler... Now, I want to
do that for a really simple language. It would run on DOS/Windows, and
produce microcontroller code (something like a PLC compiler). I'm
looking for the right tools to help me generate this compiler.

I've seen the Catalog of Compilers,... here, but I'd highly appreciate
some pointers to a package to start with (and hopefully end with,
too). I'm familiar with C/C++ and Pascal, mostly.

I want to have a commercial product at the end, so GNU might not be
the right place. Maybe to start with, and then switch to something
commercial, if this is a low cost option. But I'd prefer a free
package that would allow me to use the generated code fully
commercially (without publishing the sources).

Thanks for any help,

Gerhard