Choosing a language for compiler design

pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (Paulo Jose Matos Lopes Pinto - Aluno Eng. Informatica)
16 Oct 1996 17:56:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Choosing a language for compiler design pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1996-10-16)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design sestoft@ellemose.dina.kvl.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design torbenm@diku.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design ukcwitd@cambridge.simoco.com (Tim Wilson 6093) (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design icedancer@ibm.net (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design jsa@alexandria.organon.com (1996-10-20)

From: pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (Paulo Jose Matos Lopes Pinto - Aluno Eng. Informatica)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Oct 1996 17:56:37 -0400

    Hy,

    Now that I have an Yacc/Lex files for Oberon, I face the problem of
  choosing a language for its implementation.
    I have versions of Yacc/Lex for C, C++, Turbo Pascal and Ada.
    There are several issues regarding the choosen language, some of them
  are :

  -- C :
    For:
      It's widely used for building compilers.
      It's small and fast.

    Against:
      It's very error prone.
      Has a very badly implemented module system.
      We all know their famous pointer problems.

-- C++
  For:
    It's going to be the language of choice for the next years.
    Many of the errors of C are caught by the compiler.
    It's an object oriented language with many nice features like
  templates and exceptions.

  Against:
    It's a mountrous regarding the total number of features (I think
  that it is even bigger than Ada95).
    Every compiler has a different set of libraries.
    Not all of the avaliable compilers fully suport the standard.

-- Turbo Pascal:
  For:
    A great version of the Pascal language.
    It also supports object orientation.
    Due to rigouros type checking the compiler would be more robust.

  Against:
    It's non standart.
    It only exists in the MS-DOS and in the Windows 3.* systems.

-- Ada:
  For:
    It's Pascal based.
    It's a very robust language that is actualy used for software enginering.
    It supports object oriented programing (Ada95).
    It has a good module implementation.
    Has generics.
    Has exceptions.

  Against:
    It's not widely accepted by some people.
    It hasn't as many tools as C++.

    I would like to receive the opinion of persons that deal with compiler
  construction, because this is my first attempt to make one.
    Bye and I hope that this thread doesn't has many english errors.
--
| Paulo Pinto, pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt |
[Depends what your goals are. If it's maximum portability, write it in C.