Re: Choosing a language for compiler design

Joshua Levy <joshua@intrinsa.com>
20 Oct 1996 16:51:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Choosing a language for compiler design torbenm@diku.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design ukcwitd@cambridge.simoco.com (Tim Wilson 6093) (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design icedancer@ibm.net (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design jsa@alexandria.organon.com (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design joshua@intrinsa.com (Joshua Levy) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design pbrisset@apoge.eis.enac.dgac.fr (Pascal Brisset) (1996-10-24)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design will@ccs.neu.edu (William D Clinger) (1996-10-24)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design rgh@shellus.com (1996-11-01)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design geraldo@nw.com.br (1996-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joshua Levy <joshua@intrinsa.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Oct 1996 16:51:38 -0400

>pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (Paulo Jose Matos Lopes Pinto - Aluno
>Eng. Informatica) writes:
>> Now that I have an Yacc/Lex files for Oberon, I face the problem of
>> choosing a language for its implementation.
>> I have versions of Yacc/Lex for C, C++, Turbo Pascal and Ada.

(I missed your posting, but am replying based on other people's replies.)

Ask yourself: why are your writing this compiler? From your email
address I think you are at a University. So: if you are a student,
then your goal is to learn new things. I would choose the language you
most want to learn. You will learn about compilers no matter which
language you choose, so you might as well learn about a language you
care about, also. I would think that would be C++ or C, since those
languages are the most likely to be useful to you in later life. On
the other hand, if you already know C++ and C, then I would consider
Java. Java is a very trendy language, and knowing it will help you
get a job, etc.

On the other hand, if you are professor or grad student, then your
goal is to produce an Oberon compiler. In that case, I would choose
the language which you already know the best. Of the four languages
you listed above, none is much better than another for writing a
compiler. Therefore, your skill with the language will be the most
important facter in producing the compiler quickly and with high
quality.

Joshua Levy <joshua@intrinsa.com>