Re: Choosing a language for compiler design

icedancer@ibm.net (Ken Walter)
18 Oct 1996 00:06:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Choosing a language for compiler design pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1996-10-16)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design sestoft@ellemose.dina.kvl.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design torbenm@diku.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design ukcwitd@cambridge.simoco.com (Tim Wilson 6093) (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design icedancer@ibm.net (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design jsa@alexandria.organon.com (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design joshua@intrinsa.com (Joshua Levy) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design pbrisset@apoge.eis.enac.dgac.fr (Pascal Brisset) (1996-10-24)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design will@ccs.neu.edu (William D Clinger) (1996-10-24)

From: icedancer@ibm.net (Ken Walter)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Oct 1996 00:06:06 -0400

:> Now that I have an Yacc/Lex files for Oberon, I face the problem of
:> choosing a language for its implementation.
:> I have versions of Yacc/Lex for C, C++, Turbo Pascal and Ada.

You need to decide what is important for you. If it is portability
then C++ is good since you don't need to use ALL of it.

Many years ago we conducted an experiment in a compiler course. We
had a language which included strings, recursion and many other
features that made systems programming easy, which was the major
language at the university. The class was divided into groups. One
group which had outside knowledge of Fortran which was NOT taught at
the university was allowed to implement their compiler in Fortran.
Granted it was for a toy language, but there was very little
difference in the time, size or problems with using Fortran compared
with the other language. We didn't have any component generators, it
was all done by hand coding, lex, parse, generate, symbol tables.

Ken Walter