Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's

shankar@sgi.com (Shankar Unni)
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 19:28:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
f77 on SUN vs. on HPRISC'S khire@cae.wisc.edu (1994-12-03)
Re: f77 on SUN vs. on HPRISC'S przemek@rrdjazz.nist.gov (1994-12-05)
Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's harrist@hsd.utc.com (1994-12-07)
Re: f77 on SUN vs. on HPRISC'S adams@fb0431.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de (1994-12-14)
Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1994-12-16)
Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's shankar@sgi.com (1994-12-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: shankar@sgi.com (Shankar Unni)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 19:28:52 GMT

Jan Vorbrueggen (jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de) wrote:
> Why should it - the standard doesn't require it. (See John's comment.)

And even more importantly, every Fortran77 compiler out there usually has
an option to force subroutine variables to be static. For HP, I *think* the
option is "-K". Check the f77 man page on HP-UX to be sure..

Also, be aware that -K will usually *KILL* your optimization, so the better
alternative is to identify which variables you want to be static, and stick
them in some common block private to the subroutine.
--
Shankar Unni E-Mail: shankar@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics Inc. Phone: +1-415-390-2072