Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's

jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Jan Vorbrueggen)
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:19:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
f77 on SUN vs. on HPRISC'S khire@cae.wisc.edu (1994-12-03)
Re: f77 on SUN vs. on HPRISC'S przemek@rrdjazz.nist.gov (1994-12-05)
Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's harrist@hsd.utc.com (1994-12-07)
Re: f77 on SUN vs. on HPRISC'S adams@fb0431.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de (1994-12-14)
Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1994-12-16)
Re: f77 on Sun vs. on HPRISC's shankar@sgi.com (1994-12-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Jan Vorbrueggen)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:19:32 GMT

harrist@hsd.utc.com (harris) writes:

      In my case the problem was the HP compiler does not remember the values of
      local subroutine variables from one pass to the next.

Why should it - the standard doesn't require it. (See John's comment.)

      I'd be interested if anyone knows of any other differences like this.

Read the standard on named common blocks. There is a compiler in existence
(from DG?) that actually implements what is suggested by the standard.

      [The f77 SAVE statement should do the trick. -John]

Except when you have to support a number of implementations, and one of them
requires it, and in another (by an unnamed manufacturer with a TLA and blue as
its company colour 8-\) kills the compiler...

Jan