Q: Modern introduction to code optimization?

ssimmons@convex.convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Fri, 7 Oct 1994 17:52:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: Modern introduction to code optimization? mats@cs.arizona.edu (1994-10-05)
Q: Modern introduction to code optimization? ssimmons@convex.convex.com (1994-10-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 17:52:11 GMT

> I am to give a lecture named "Introduction to code optimization, esp. of
> intermediate code". Aho/Sethi/Ullman (the textbook) does not contain enough
> up-to-date information for me. The assumed target is 300/400 level students
> in a standard compiler class.

Here is a suggestion.... If you are really teaching advanced students,
teach them from papers, not textbooks.... IMHO...

Why!?!?! There are two good reasons... First, most of the current
research are in the papers because it takes longer to publish a textbook.

Next, students at these levels should start learning how to read papers.
It takes a different talent than reading a textbook. When reading a paper,
it is often concise to one topic, and the readers must learn how to
decipher different writers' styles. It requires separating out what is
needed (and not needed).

A textbook always presents all topics with a consistent style, many
example, and sometimes exercises.

Here are some papers and topics to cover...

- Peephole optimizations (McKeeman paper from the mid-60's)
- Local and global optimizations (Aho, Sethi, & Ullman do OK here).
- Loop Optimizations (Ken Kennedy & Randy Allen papers from the mid 80s)
- Routine Optimizations (both Fran Allen & Bob Metzger have a few papers)
- Instruction Scheduling (Monica Lam)
- Global Register Allocations (Brian Koblenz SIGPLDI '91)
- Debugging optimized code (Brooks SIGPLDI '92)

Thank you.

Steve Simmons