Q: Modern introduction to code optimization?

mats@cs.arizona.edu (Mats Bjorkman)
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 23:41:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: Modern introduction to code optimization? mats@cs.arizona.edu (1994-10-05)
Q: Modern introduction to code optimization? ssimmons@convex.convex.com (1994-10-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mats@cs.arizona.edu (Mats Bjorkman)
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 23:41:52 GMT

Can someone please mail me or post pointers to any recent introductory
material on code optimization?

I am to give a lecture named "Introduction to code optimization, esp. of
intermediate code". Aho/Sethi/Ullman (the textbook) does not contain enough
up-to-date information for me. The assumed target is 300/400 level students
in a standard compiler class.

I'd like to find answers to questions like:

* How is code optimization affected by the increasing performance
    impact of cache behavior?

* Does the importance of knowing the target architecture when
    optimizing make optimization of intermediate code a dying art?

* How does RISC architectures affect code optimization?

I'm interested in anything that in recent years may have changed the types of
optimizations applied or the way they are applied.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

//Mats
--
Mats Bjorkman Email: mats@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Computer Science Phone: +1 602 621-8119