Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters"

cmg996@cck.coventry.ac.uk (Martin-Martin Nike)
Fri, 3 Apr 1992 11:22:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" slvj6@cc.usu.edu (1992-03-23)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" popyackl@LONEX.RL.AF.MIL (1992-04-01)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" glenn@ready.eng.ready.com (1992-04-02)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" cmg996@cck.coventry.ac.uk (1992-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cmg996@cck.coventry.ac.uk (Martin-Martin Nike)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1992 11:22:13 GMT

>>I was wondering if anyone has the book "Writing Compilers and Interpreters"
>>by Ronald L. Mak and if it's worth buying.
>[or how it compares to Fisher & LeBlanc]

If you want a book which gives the construction of a compiler, try Allen
Holub's excellent 'compiler design in C'. The book starts off with a
section on lexical analysis, then follows up with sections on grammar and
then includes the actual source of two parser's and a lexical analyser,
explained step by step.

Also included is a complete C compiler, broken down and explained
thoroughly.

I used this book to write a compiler for my honours project, and apart
from a lot of errors and a few bugs, it gives superb insight in how a
compiler works, how values are manipulated and is written in a friendly
and untheoretical manner.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about compiler design.
--
/\/\artin-/\/\artin Nike, Coventry Polytechnic, England.
JANET:cmg996@uk.ac.coventry