Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters"

popyackl@LONEX.RL.AF.MIL (Leonard J. Popyack)
Wed, 1 Apr 1992 16:12:08 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" slvj6@cc.usu.edu (1992-03-23)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" popyackl@LONEX.RL.AF.MIL (1992-04-01)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" glenn@ready.eng.ready.com (1992-04-02)
Re: Book "Writing Compilers & Interpreters" cmg996@cck.coventry.ac.uk (1992-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: popyackl@LONEX.RL.AF.MIL (Leonard J. Popyack)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 16:12:08 GMT

slvj6@cc.usu.edu writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has the book "Writing Compilers and Interpreters"
>by Ronald L. Mak and if it's worth buying.

I just picked it up last week. Basically, it is a large tutorial on
building a Pascal compiler and interpreter (using C) for execution on an
8086 based target machine. I set the book down after briefly looking at
it in the store, then went back to get it. I figured it might be good for
reference.

I am reading Fisher and LeBlanc "Crafting a Compiler with C" now.
Comparitively, Mak does next to nothing on parser comparison, or the use
of scanner generators (ie, he just uses what seems like a
recursive-descent parser coded in C).

Both books are good, in their own rights. Where Fisher lacks real-world
coded examples, Mak has one to look at and study. I might be able to
comment more on the books after finishing both of them. (I am reading
Fisher & LeBlanc first and more thoroughly.) Since I knew basically
nothing about the construction of a compiler, I am hoping these books can
give me some insite.

73 Len Popyack