Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Thu, 27 May 2010 12:07:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc paktsardines@gmail.com (Pakt) (2010-05-17)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc kevinlynx@gmail.com (Kevin Lynx) (2010-05-20)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-21)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc paktsardines@gmail.com (Pakt) (2010-05-24)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc gone_pecan@nowhere.net (Bruce C. Baker) (2010-05-26)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-05-26)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-05-27)
Re: Please assist: if/else condition problem with lex/yacc gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-06-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:07:46 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 May 2010 12:11:00 EDT

On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:21:24 -0400, George Neuner
<gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Engineering a Compiler". I'm not sure who to attribute this to,
>there is no face page in the PDF. It is *not* Cooper & Torczon which
>is available (but not free) as an ebook. It appears to be a fairly
>decent intro text.
>http://www.esnips.com/doc/6b2edf7d-fc7a-4950-8b84-6a9de5a23858/Engineering-a-compiler
>If somebody knows who authored this work, please tell me.
>
>[The PDF appears to be a copy of the unedited MSS for Cooper and Torczon, "Engineering
>a Compiler", Morgan Kaufman, 2004. I found it by typing the first sentence of Chapter 1
>into Google Books. They would doubtless prefer that people buy a legal copy of the
>book, which is better than the MSS due to the excellent editors at Morgan Kaufman.
>Follow this link and comp.compilers gets the referral fee:
>http://net.gurus.org/bk/a/155860698X -John]

Obviously I wasn't as thorough as John was.

I have Cooper & Torczon and it did occur to me to look at it, but
there were enough differences in the organization, table of contents,
etc. that I did not think the PDF was the same book. On closer
examination I believe John is correct.

Unfortunately this PDF is available from many sites ... I just picked
the first one Google found to mention.

I have sent a note of apology to Keith Cooper and Linda Torczon. I
also apologize to everyone here for promoting an illicit book.

George
[It may not be illicit -- it's fairly common to send around manuscript
drafts for comment, but I can assure people from experience that a
good editor makes a book much better. Compare the mss of Linkers and
Loaders which you can still find on the web to the published book,
edited by the same group who did Cooper and Torczon, and the
improvements are obvious. -John]